June Frame

June Frame

Friday, June 7, 2013

Talk about a busy bee...

Well I posted a picture earlier today which showed allot of bees hanging/chillin out in front of one of my hives - H3 or Nuc box

I think I'm gonna rename that Nuc box to Nuc Bomb !!!  I took the cover off to inspect it this afternoon and it's all drawn out and just about full.  Talk about a good laying queen ... I looked back over my notes and recorded the following, about that hive -

 - 5/11 - purchased that 5-frame nuc from somebody locally.  It was from a 'tear-out' or a wild/ferrel hive somewhere.

 - 5/19 - added a 2nd deep super to the box and moved 3 or 4 frame up to get them started.  I also added     4 bare frames with tongue depressors as guides for them to make some 'natural' comb on their own

 - 6/7 - today added another deep and moved 4 frames up.  All the new frames are foundation less and I hope that they draw them out as well.

Hopefully I'll be able to do one of the following - create a 'walk-away' split, or maybe graft some queen cells from this box and make splits with the 2 4-frame nucs I have on H1

H1 - i moved a couple of frames around on the 2 4-frame nuc boxes up.  In about a week I should be able to either create a couple of nuc boxes, or hopefully I can get/graft a couple of queens from H2.

H2 - still moving a little slower than H1 (the other new package from this week) with about 65 to 70% drawn out on the top deep box.

Also, I got tired of filling up the 'board man feeders' every 2 to 3 days, so i filled them for the last time today.  I got smart, and created a 5-gallon feeder.  Funny thing is, while I was mixing it up, I had a bee constantly following me around.  She followed me to where I was putting it, and as soon as I put it up - 5 other bees came around and starting feeding.  I bet by mid day tomorrow, it'll be swarming with bees.  I'll upload a picture of that in the am.

Good brood patterns in all boxes ...

Here's a pic on the new triple box ..

more later ..


No comments:

Post a Comment